Thursday, September 3, 2009

When the Sky is Grey

What a shitty weather that Amsterdam has today. It's a catastrophic combination of pouring rain, heavy wind blow, and sun light. What kind of weather they're having here. According to accuweather.com which I always check every morning, the temperature for today is 15 degrees (highest) and 11 degrees (lowest). I guess it would be another particular student life day of mine.

I started my day by woke up late. I just skipped the shower and directly go to class by bus and metro instead of bike. The earliest class here starts at 9.00 a.m, not like in Depok where the morning class usually start at 8.00 a.m (that's better actually). The thing is, the latest class here finish at 8.00 pm, whereas in Depok, the latest class i guess finish on 6.30 or 7 pm, something like that (this one is not good).

After the class, i planned to go to the Student Information Center which is apart from my faculty in Roetersstraat. I tried to take a walk, but it seems to cold for me to continue my journey since it is raining. Then I initiated to take the metro (subway) from Waterlooplein to Neiuwmarkt. It works, basically. But, after i got off the Niuewmarkt station, i have to go to the direction that i thought i knew. Again, i have to stop by in front of a kiosk because the fcuking rain. All i wore today is just a polo shirt and my became-favorite all season jacket. Jeans and a pair of white Converse. I walked through some narrow street and i got a bit lost. Guess where i've been ? Yes, it's redlights. Shit. It is 11.30 in the middle of the day, it is cold outside, and i got lost in redlights ! perfect. There are already some girls trying to market themselves in this very early and rainy afternoon ! Moreover, of course, the smell of marijuana is always around the redlights.


After i changed my appointment with the city's government regarding to my residence permit, i should go to Central Station to take the bus home. I am just too lazy and too miserly to spend an Euro to go by tram to central. In fact, it is not that far, by the way. Therefore, i have to bear the consequence of getting wet because of the rain is came again. WTF ! It is raining, stop, sun light, raining again, heavy wind blow, raining again, sun light again, and raining again. Oh my God, this city is having odd weather as they said on the Cultureshock! book i read. This time is no mercy, i am freezing. My jeans is wet, my shoe and shocks is wet, and of course, my nose it totally wet. I would like to buy an umbrella, and i saw people having problem with theirs, then i thought that in these days, there is no such good enough umbrella to bear the wind.


In spite of the odd weather, i started to fall in love with the city. It is just a perfect combination of urban living and the settings of classical and historical city of Amsterdam. The city is living. Street performance in Dam Square and Museumplein, fresh flower seller in the sidewalks, hot coffee smell in pedestrian, buzzing bicycle in the street, it is totally nice in its own fashion. I went inside two bookstores and two shopping center on my way back home just to avoid the rain. I took the bus, and by the time i get off the bus, yes, it is raining again.

That's the story of my day for today. How's yours ?

No comments:

Post a Comment