Thursday, August 20, 2009

36,000 feet above.

I am currently writing this from 36,000 feet above sea level during my flight from Jakarta to Amsterdam that will stop over in Hong Kong. I am flying with Cathay Pacific CX667 on Airbus A330-300. Well, for those of you who questioning what the f i've been doing since August 14th, this blog post is the answer.

 

Let me inform you a bit about my background. I was born as a son of a airline staff. My mother has been working for Garuda Indonesia for nearly 19 years. As the consequences, my family, always have several free tickets to travel each year. The most frequent travel of me and my family is to Medan - North Sumatra, since my grandparents still live there. Nevertheless, we also quite often travel internationally. In short, as long as we want to fly to the cities where Garuda Indonesia has flights to those cities, easily say, it wouldn't be any problem.

Unfortunately, for this very moment, i would like move to Amsterdam. As we know, our lovely country has just released from a airline travel ban issued by EU aviation commission. For your info, the ban has already put into effect for about 4 years. In fact, the damn ban already released yet, doesn't mean that suddenly Garuda Indonesia could fly there. There are several technical issues have to be taken care of before the national flag carrier possibly fly there. Therefore, few weeks ago, i already issued a ticket from a corresponding airline of Garuda; KLM.

Since both Garuda and KLM has an cooperation agreement, the staff and its family of Garuda are allow to fly with zero fare, which i only pay the tax and charges for around USD 41,00 for flights from Jakarta-Kuala Lumpur-Amsterdam-Kuala Lumpur-Jakarta.

What a price, right ?

Once again, as the consequence of paying only USD 41 to travel that far, i will always be listed as a stand by passenger every time i fly. Then here is, the story began.

At the beginning, I planned to depart on August 14th with KLM. My friends already gathered at the airports, but finally, i disappointingly can't make it that day since the flight to KL and AMS was totally full and even over. So that night, i have to going back home. By the following morning of August 15th, i tried again to make my fortune. But once again, i failed to fly. They said, this is peak season baby.. ;P they even don't give the seat to the paying passenger, what the f with no paying passenger like me.. lol.

I was quite disappointed since I can’t go as I already planned. Although school will commence on August 26th, I don’t know why I think I need to be there far in advance. That’s what we defined as, sometimes, you want something that you don’t need. ;) I spent the next two days at home, since based on the reservation information I received the KLM flight was overbooked until uncertain time, so there is no chance for me to board. I enjoyed the independence day of August 17th by watching the state ceremony on TV.

In the afternoon, I tried (again) to go to the airport to try my luck for that day. Well, It worked. Me and my mother were successfully flied to Kuala Lumpur, where I have to re-check in for the flight to Amsterdam. By the time I arrived in KUL, I only got around 45 minutes to get all the things done. We should first go into the arrival hall, which is located separately from the gate where the plane was parked in Terminal C. We got to go by aerotrain. Then we should passing through the immigration, then go to the departure hall in the 5th floor of the building. But for that day, it was seemed like my luck was just running out. By the time I got to the check in counter, the officer said that the flight was full then I can’t continue my journey to Amsterdam. We were grounded. Therefore, we decided to stay in Pan Pacific Airport Hotel KLIA to easily check the flight to the airport since the hotel is in a walking distance from the terminal.

Unfortunately, the normal rooms were fully book there, then we have unintendedly stay in the pacific club room that cost us MYR 1,300 per night ! In fact, I am sure that God still love me. I showed my mother’s ID to the clerk then he gave us special rate for the airline staff which we only have to pay for MYR 525 per night. More than a half price, right ? ;)

I stay in Kuala Lumpur for two days from August 17th until august 19th. We tried every night to depart, but we didn’t make it. Until finally my mother call to Jakarta, and one of our relative told my mother that there is a flight available with Cathay Pacific from Jakarta-Amsterdam via Hong Kong. Suddenly, my mother made a call that I will travel by myself by tomorrow with Cathay to Amsterdam. Indeed, we decided to fly back to Jakarta with the very first flight of Malaysia Airline. Afterward, I arrived in Jakarta at around 10.20, went to Garuda Indonesia local office, repacked my baggage into one lighter luggage, so I can travel more conveniently. Moreover, the rest of the luggage will be brought by my parents by the time they can make it to depart to Amsterdam with the USD 41 ticket. ;P That afternoon, one of my uncle come along to the airport to make sure that I would really depart. After repacking the luggage, we had lunch at the airport lounge, then my boarding time is ahead. I should go. My mother hugged me for around a minute, then saying “Good luck ! Come home with pride..”. I really touched by that phrase, but I am just can’t come out with tears.

Finally I departed to Amsterdam with a very amazing journey. CGK-KUL-CGK-HKG-AMS. What a journey ! Then here I am, finishing this blog post from 34,000 feet above the sea level, sitting in the seat 63A on Boeing 747-400 of Cathay Pacific. Overall, this journey is just unforgettable. A journey that worth to tell by both my mother and I to our next generation. ;D

Amsterdam is two hours away right now. Wish me have a nice landing at Schipol, people. I really contented with the service of Cathay. The meal is reasonably okay and the red wine is good. Hahaha..

No comments:

Post a Comment